Natsudrive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Story Pitches

+13
emer
TheTenk
Metoma
kuchinashi
AniMOE and ManGAR
Lukalade
Taiga
Shojocore
Perian
Nappa
AirPig
ThatGuy
Cidthulhu
17 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Story Pitches - Page 2 Empty Re: Story Pitches

Post  Lukalade Fri May 07, 2010 5:07 am

Metoma wrote:
Lukalade wrote:
That's just a myth, actually. Humans use most if not all of their brain.

is it? I admit, I didn't do much research on that one.

Yeah, a link if you want to read more into it. Everything else I guess can be an acceptable break from reality.
Lukalade
Lukalade

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTenk Fri May 07, 2010 7:06 am

The fact about humans not using their full muscle power is truth in television, though. But, problem is, it's specifically adrenaline that CAUSES a person's mind and body to go overdrive, so you've actually got two people with identical powers there.
TheTenk
TheTenk

http://tenkyougan.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shojocore Fri May 07, 2010 11:35 am

Just remembered another old idea I used to have in my head.

The story starts off with a rather lonely guy who's big into anime. His one joy in life is slice of life style anime. However, the more he watches these shows, the more lonely he realizes he's become until one day he decides enough is enough and sets out to create his own little slice of life: meeting people, making friends, trying new things, and maybe even trying to get him a lady.

In my head I see it as Welcome to the NHK meets Yotsuba with Genshiken and Lucky Star sprinkles on it.
Shojocore
Shojocore

Back to top Go down

Post  kuchinashi Fri May 07, 2010 11:45 am

I really like all the different genres and stories we got so far.

Best magazine ever, you guys.
kuchinashi
kuchinashi

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatGuy Fri May 07, 2010 11:55 am

Shojocore wrote:Just remembered another old idea I used to have in my head.

The story starts off with a rather lonely guy who's big into anime. His one joy in life is slice of life style anime. However, the more he watches these shows, the more lonely he realizes he's become until one day he decides enough is enough and sets out to create his own little slice of life: meeting people, making friends, trying new things, and maybe even trying to get him a lady.

In my head I see it as Welcome to the NHK meets Yotsuba with Genshiken and Lucky Star sprinkles on it.

Will it be manly light-hearted with occasional moments of profound sadness? Please, please let it be manly light-hearted with occasional moments of profound sadness ;_;
ThatGuy
ThatGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  Metoma Fri May 07, 2010 11:58 am

TheTenk wrote:The fact about humans not using their full muscle power is truth in television, though. But, problem is, it's specifically adrenaline that CAUSES a person's mind and body to go overdrive, so you've actually got two people with identical powers there.

And this is why we need editors. Thanks for the feedback. Scrap them both, combine them into one character:

7. A person who has adrenaline pumping at all times. This means that their senses are heightened far beyond human level (see things clearly from a mile away, hear a pin drop from hundreds of yards away). They are capable of performing supernatural feats of strength, and has insane reflexes. But, they body is not meant to be used at such a level for prolong periods, so if they got all out for too long, they start tearing this muscles apart, and have the risk of their body completely shutting down. Suffers from ADHD, and must be put into a medical coma every night in order to sleep, because of all the adrenaline.
Metoma
Metoma

Back to top Go down

Post  Metoma Fri May 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Does protagonist to go completely over to top when trying to branch out? Like ordering really exotic delicacies at restaurants?
Metoma
Metoma

Back to top Go down

Post  kuchinashi Fri May 07, 2010 12:16 pm

Yo, hey guys. Anyone know how you go about picking appropriate names for Nipponese characters? 'Cause no matter how you look at it, when it comes to robot waifus Asia is living the dream.

And America doesn't care about the feelings of robo waifus at all. ;_; It's all big tits and blonde hair to them.
kuchinashi
kuchinashi

Back to top Go down

Post  emer Fri May 07, 2010 2:45 pm

kuchinashi wrote:Yo, hey guys. Anyone know how you go about picking appropriate names for Nipponese characters?(...)
When I was gamemastering a few years back I used a Hiragana-table, a pair of dices and shit was on.
It worked really good.
If, you want approporiate names... go wikipedia, and use real names, just like the glorious nihongons do.
emer
emer

Back to top Go down

Post  kuchinashi Fri May 07, 2010 2:49 pm

emer wrote:
kuchinashi wrote:Yo, hey guys. Anyone know how you go about picking appropriate names for Nipponese characters?(...)
When I was gamemastering a few years back I used a Hiragana-table, a pair of dices and shit was on.
It worked really good.
If, you want approporiate names... go wikipedia, and use real names, just like the glorious nihongons do.

I think I like the former method most. Thanks, bro!
kuchinashi
kuchinashi

Back to top Go down

Post  emer Fri May 07, 2010 2:55 pm

kuchinashi wrote:I think I like the former method most. Thanks, bro!
Here to help and farm posts.
emer
emer

Back to top Go down

Post  Shojocore Fri May 07, 2010 5:19 pm

ThatGuy wrote:

Will it be manly light-hearted with occasional moments of profound sadness? Please, please let it be manly light-hearted with occasional moments of profound sadness ;_;

Oh hells yeah. I want the sad to kick in hard at first but eventually have the lead make tiny little steps of progress. It's supposed to be a happy story in the end.
Shojocore
Shojocore

Back to top Go down

Post  emer Fri May 07, 2010 5:26 pm

I'd read that, you got some kind of storyline set up already?
Maybe not chapter-wise but like, in the beginning - > Middle arcs -> The ending/Conclusion?
emer
emer

Back to top Go down

Post  Shojocore Fri May 07, 2010 6:32 pm

emer wrote:I'd read that, you got some kind of storyline set up already?
Maybe not chapter-wise but like, in the beginning - > Middle arcs -> The ending/Conclusion?

I think first "arc" would be him trying to find some friends. Very awkwardly. He eventually manages to gather a group just as messed up as he is.
The second one would be him and his new group going on little "adventures": out of country trip, running a marathon, attending a really fancy event in suits, etc.
The last arc would be the main trying to get the lady of his dreams, who I imagine appearing sporadically throughout the series but until now he never had the balls to pursue.
Shojocore
Shojocore

Back to top Go down

Post  emer Fri May 07, 2010 7:07 pm

It sounds really good : )
Now time to find an artist...
emer
emer

Back to top Go down

Post  Nappa Fri May 07, 2010 9:11 pm

Well now that finals are out of the way I can concentrate on this and Monster Hunter. Now if any artist has a type of story like mecha or whatever that they would prefer to illustrate I can work on a story and pitch ideas, as my current pitches have been overlooked (and possibly for good reason). If not then I could always work on a light novel.
Nappa
Nappa

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTenk Sat May 08, 2010 8:38 am

Nappa wrote:Well now that finals are out of the way I can concentrate on this and Monster Hunter. Now if any artist has a type of story like mecha or whatever that they would prefer to illustrate I can work on a story and pitch ideas, as my current pitches have been overlooked (and possibly for good reason). If not then I could always work on a light novel.
|-

Let's rock.
TheTenk
TheTenk

http://tenkyougan.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shojocore Sat May 08, 2010 8:45 am

Fuck yeah mecha!

Since there's so many stories of future or present mechs, what about a mecha story in the past? Like during the Hundred Years War, the war between France and England Joan of Arc was in. But they have mechs for some reason, and Joan is a secret pilot for Arc, a prototype mech she stole from the English that secretly has the Holy Grail at it's core. As for the mechs themselves, I'm thinking less robot like and more golem and castle looking things powered by faith.
Shojocore
Shojocore

Back to top Go down

Post  Cidthulhu Sat May 08, 2010 12:40 pm

Shojocore wrote:Fuck yeah mecha!

Since there's so many stories of future or present mechs, what about a mecha story in the past?... As for the mechs themselves, I'm thinking less robot like and more golem and castle looking things powered by faith.

I have relevant information in regards to this.

If you're going for a mech design based in the past, I would have to recommend the "fat robot" design.

Robo is a good example of what I'm talking about.

Story Pitches - Page 2 Ct-rob10

Another example, the Stormwalker from Leviathan.

Story Pitches - Page 2 Stormw10

Those two examples would be for a "Calvary" mech or an artillery mech. For a moving fortress, the castle design was suggested. Think of it like combining the following images.

Story Pitches - Page 2 Castle02

and

Story Pitches - Page 2 Leviat10

And of course you can reference Howls moving castle.

As for the war, 100 years war is a fine choice. Near the end (either around Joan of Arcs time or after) cannons came into use, so it wouldn't be too unreasonable to make a giant robot out of the same cannon metal. Also from a literature standpoint, Joan of Arc makes a pretty good hero.
Cidthulhu
Cidthulhu

Back to top Go down

Post  dudebro Mon May 10, 2010 4:03 am

Shojocore wrote:Alrighty, back from sleeping. Now I can repost my previous idea, hopefully with more clarity from 8 hours of shut eye.

The story takes place in a typical American high school, and the perspective is split between two people: a stereotypical shoujo romance lead and a relatively normal guy. The story is drawn so that the right page is the girl's perspective and the guy's is the left. Both pages will be shown right next to each other so that the same scene can be seen from both their eyes.

The girl is your typical shoujo romance lead: clumsy, broke, high spirited, and cute in the way that no one really seems to notice until near the end of the story. The start of the manga is beginning at her first day transferring to a new school. After introducing herself to her new classmates, she eyes the male lead and falls in love with him. She makes a pledge to herself to do whatever it takes to win his heart. The artstyle is typical sparkles and saucer eyes pushed to its logical extreme.

The guy is a fairly normal guy: decently good looking, possibly on a sports team, and no interest in anime/manga. The day the girl lead transfers is nothing to get excited about. She's pretty plain looking, and he wonders why she refers to herself as Natsu-chan and generally has a weird way to talking. Throughout the month he puts up with her awkward advances just to be nice although he really has no interest in her. As time goes on, she becomes more persistent in her attempts and soon crosses into stalker territory. The weird part is that other people are starting to get in on her act. Friends and classmates begin acting less like they normally do and more like the way she perceives them. He even swears they start looking different. Eventually a manga savvy friend of his shows him a manga called Love Blooms in the Summer, which he remembers the girl reading in class. After flipping through it, he begins to see how reality is starting to conform to the girl's interpretation of the story and knows he has to do something before all of reality is lost to it, including himself. The art style for this side would be a bit more of a realistic style. In my head I see it like Junji Ito like, but anything that would clash with the shoujo style would be great. As the story progresses, the artstyle of the girl's begins to bleed into this side as people, places, and even just bits of the sky begin changing until it's just the male lead.

I'm not posting an ending yet because I'm still thinking on that part, but then again I wouldn't want to spoil the whole story already. Sorry if I went a bit tl;dr.

this... sounds AWESOME. the clash of art styles will definitely be fun to play with, with characters depicted from moeeee and GAR POVs simultaneously.
dudebro
dudebro

Back to top Go down

Post  face Tue May 11, 2010 8:35 am

Here's what I've been thinking; I know I want to try and do a battle manga of some variety. While I've been thinking of original concepts, there's something I think I have the chance to do here that I wouldn't have the chance to do anywhere else, but I definitely need to bounce it off other people.

Detergent, or Bleach: Revised.

I actually posted this work-up on /a/ a long while ago to what seemed like some positive (if uncritical) feedback. I used to read Bleach back in the day and have always been disappointed with where it went, so I started thinking about how I would've preferred things to go and eventually made up this general outline of what to do with it.

It goes like this: The plan is to rework Bleach into three hefty arcs. First, an extended prologue in the world of the living that ends with Ichigo killing Grand Fisher. Second, a revamped SS arc that ends with Ichigo actually toppling the Soul Society hierarchy in addition to saving Rukia from execution. And finally, a heavily revamped Mexico arc that occurs a number of years after the new SS arc, where Aizen has taken over Soul Society and the Arrancar are the new Court Squads, rampaging through the afterlife willy-nilly.

The prologue's not a whole lot different, other than the Ichigo/Ishida duel not involving the Menos and, obviously, making it into an actual arc. The SS arc is pretty different in that Aizen is not the villain yet, and that Rukia's execution isn't a trick, Soul Society's just ruled by aloof assholes; the Soul Society of this version is even more feudalistic, with poor Rukongians living hellish existences and the aristocracy living in opulence. This becomes the driving force of the second arc's plot as Ichigo becomes embroiled in civil war in the course of his Rukia rescue. The third arc is hardly connected to anything Bleach is doing today, other than using the arrancar/villainous Aizen. The idea is that at the end of arc 2, SS is set to become a democracy and Ichigo, feeling the job well done, gives Rukia her powers back and goes home to live normally. However, in a few short years Aizen becomes overzealous and establishes a dictatorship. Ichigo, meanwhile, spends about 10-20 years oblivious to this in the living world until he's killed in a sudden accident and returns to find SS in Aizen's iron fist, at which point the resistance is on.

I've got a lot of other details and changes, as well as plenty of other stuff yet to be dealt with, but that's the basic idea. Thoughts?
face
face

Back to top Go down

Post  AniMOE and ManGAR Thu May 13, 2010 11:00 am

I have another story

Once there is a boy who was encouraged to read books after spending so much time watching TV. Unfortunately, he happens read one of the book made by a mysterious author. After reading it, he soon encounters that everything that happened to what he have read is becoming real.

tl;dr: superpowered books give normalfags superpowers
AniMOE and ManGAR
AniMOE and ManGAR

Back to top Go down

Story Pitches - Page 2 Empty The beggining

Post  redmage17 Fri May 14, 2010 12:17 am

In the year 2020 the world changed, the apocalypse came. Though it was in a form no one saw coming, the Earth's ley lines burst open and with it came the return of magic. The myths, the legends, the fairy tales of old all came back. Unfortunately so did the horrors, nightmares, and the Demons. Mankind after eons without mana, without the knowledge of the use of magic, few allies, and apathetic gods, never stood a chance.

It's a start I'm gonna flesh out some ideas and characters but I don't want to say anything before I figure the mechanics of how my verse will work.

redmage17

Back to top Go down

Post  Metoma Mon May 17, 2010 6:13 am

There was a thread about FLCL and TTGL a couple weeks ago. I completely forgot I got the screencap of it, which you can see here.

Basically, FLCL sequel being the origins of TTGL. I'd be down for writing some of it, and I know other people have been interested in an action or mecha manga.
Metoma
Metoma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukalade Mon May 17, 2010 12:56 pm

I got a new idea.

A young father loses his beloved wife as she is killed in a skirmish in a battle being a frontline journalist. He copes with her death by doting over his only daughter. Paranoid of losing her, he homeschools her and strictly keeps her at home for most of her life. Sheltered and living in a rural area, she has no knowledge of culture or taboos outside of the house and a sparse collection of books and movies. As she grows older, she starts harboring serious romantic feelings toward her father. Also as she matures, she reminds him of his wife more and more. Father becomes torn between lust, love, and morals. Does he love her as a daughter or as a woman? As herself or as a substitute for his wife? Is it right to be doing this, etc, etc?

Not sure if done before, but I like premises like that.
Lukalade
Lukalade

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next