Natsudrive
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What will we publish?

+8
Fudge
Taiga
DokFaust
face
Cidthulhu
Prufrax
emer
ThatGuy
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What will we publish? Empty What will we publish?

Post  ThatGuy Wed May 05, 2010 2:22 pm

We could do pretty much anything. Sure, manga stories will be encouraged since it is the heart of the magazine, but I believe light novels would be fine too, especially because both products have the same target audience. We could even insert a mini Choose Your Adventure amongst the pages every issue to make the magazine more interesting or put some "Where's Wally" list of things the reader has to find on the magazine, if we're feeling experimental.

Those are just my ideas. What do you guys think we should publish in this magazine?
ThatGuy
ThatGuy

Back to top Go down

What will we publish? Empty Re: What will we publish?

Post  emer Wed May 05, 2010 2:26 pm

Maybe split the whole mag in genres (the texts I mean)

With adult stuff at the end so everyone read it first.

And like in SJ, with the most popular stuff first/middle.
emer
emer

Back to top Go down

Post  Prufrax Wed May 05, 2010 2:28 pm

I've been thinking about this and I believe we should just stick to comics. Specifically, comics done in manga fashion. I think there would still be room for 4koma and fan art, but I think the emphasis should be on visual artwork.

The reason I say this, is because of the /lit/ project.

Prufrax

Back to top Go down

Post  emer Wed May 05, 2010 2:30 pm

Prufrax wrote:The reason I say this, is because of the /lit/ project.
Do tell.

Why must we compete? 'cuz they don't want to deal with weaboos and we don't want pretentious Chutulu-fans?
emer
emer

Back to top Go down

Post  Cidthulhu Wed May 05, 2010 2:31 pm

Prufrax wrote: 'cuz they don't want to deal with weaboos and we don't want pretentious Chutulu-fans?

Ouch.

Last edited by Cidthulhu on Wed May 05, 2010 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Mistake)
Cidthulhu
Cidthulhu

Back to top Go down

Post  face Wed May 05, 2010 2:33 pm

I don't think we're competing, necessarily, it's just that there isn't much point to simply being a weeaboo version of /lit/'s 'zine.

Besides, if it's going to be a manga magazine, it should be a manga magazine.
face
face

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatGuy Wed May 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Now, now. They are okay with manga submissions, they just haven't received any yet. Period.
However, you guys have a point: we should emphasize on visual.

And poor Chutulu buddy ;_;
ThatGuy
ThatGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  emer Wed May 05, 2010 2:36 pm

face wrote:Besides, if it's going to be a manga magazine, it should be a manga magazine.
manGa(r)zine.

Then, a free comic mag?
Not even short stories...?

@Cidthulhu Sorry.
emer
emer

Back to top Go down

Post  DokFaust Wed May 05, 2010 3:11 pm

I agree that our focus should mainly be on manga, but I think a little writing wouldn't hurt. The fact of the matter is, we're probably going to have more writers than artists, so writing of some kind that our readers would enjoy seems appropriate. I also really like the idea of having some 4-coma and fan art stuff.

As far as written work goes, I could see an audience for:
Short Stories
Serial Stories
Illustrated Shorts/Serials
Anime Related Non-fiction.
Relevant poetry.

ITT: Let's not limit ourselves right off the bat, and see what people come up with.
DokFaust
DokFaust
Admin

https://moemoe.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Taiga Wed May 05, 2010 5:30 pm

POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORN!!!!!! Very Happy
Taiga
Taiga

Back to top Go down

Post  Fudge Wed May 05, 2010 8:45 pm

Taiga wrote:POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORN!!!!!! Very Happy

Are you planning on being constructive here sometime in the future? :/

I'd say manga as well, but I do like the idea of light novels, a lot.

Fudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Nappa Wed May 05, 2010 8:54 pm

Manga, light novels, short stories, fan art, and maybe review some Jrpgs.
Nappa
Nappa

Back to top Go down

Post  Cidthulhu Wed May 05, 2010 8:58 pm

Due to our influx of writefags, having some written material besides manga could be a good idea.
Cidthulhu
Cidthulhu

Back to top Go down

Post  Taiga Wed May 05, 2010 9:03 pm

Fudge wrote:

I'm going to be constructive as soon as there's a script to work on. You guys are getting sidetracked by thinking about layouts and names when the priority should be the actual content.

Writefags write something, drawfags draw that something. Anything else is a waste of effort at the moment.
Was that constructive enough for you? =p
Taiga
Taiga

Back to top Go down

Post  Nappa Wed May 05, 2010 9:12 pm

I'll start on Friday... Or when I'm told what to work on. Whichever comes last due to half-assed final exam reviewing.

Last edited by Nappa on Wed May 05, 2010 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nappa
Nappa

Back to top Go down

Post  Fudge Wed May 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Taiga wrote:
Fudge wrote:

I'm going to be constructive as soon as there's a script to work on. You guys are getting sidetracked by thinking about layouts and names when the priority should be the actual content.

Writefags write something, drawfags draw that something. Anything else is a waste of effort at the moment.
Was that constructive enough for you? =p

Yep, that was. I had assumed you might have been here for trolling purposes only, but it seems thats not the case, which is fine with me.

Fudge

Back to top Go down

Post  Prufrax Wed May 05, 2010 9:49 pm

I have to say, that none of the work is mutually exclusive. Instead of just flinging shit at a wall and seeing what sticks, it's probably best to have a little bit of a plan.

If people are truly serious about this, then the quicker we hash out minor details, the quicker you can become focused on the actual creative work.

There are a few things we need to think about. What software is going to be used to publish? What's a reasonable release schedule? How long should each issue be? That is what's a minimum and what's a maximum?

The thread mentioning abilities is a good start, but I think people should also be willing to post what other skills they have. In addition to writing or drawing. Even if it's just minor html, programming, software, etc. skills. Those people are going to be essential.

Now, that's not to say that if you have those skills you have to do anything. What it is is an excellent chance to hone what little skills you already have and even improve them.

I'll just end with this: logistics will make or break this project.

Prufrax

Back to top Go down

Post  AirPig Wed May 05, 2010 10:30 pm

Prufrax wrote:I have to say, that none of the work is mutually exclusive. Instead of just flinging shit at a wall and seeing what sticks, it's probably best to have a little bit of a plan.

If people are truly serious about this, then the quicker we hash out minor details, the quicker you can become focused on the actual creative work.

There are a few things we need to think about. What software is going to be used to publish? What's a reasonable release schedule? How long should each issue be? That is what's a minimum and what's a maximum?

No idea how the process works, so I'll guess that the pages could be made in photoshop or its equivalent and distributed via .zip or .rar to be read using CDisplay or any other reading program.

I think we should do a bi-monthly release. What I'm concerned with is how long it will take for the manga to be drawn. Two-month releases may be enough time for at least 10 pages per artist per issue, more than enough time for a two-page article and whatever else needs printing. Though I may be too worried about the art and not worried enough about the written things.
AirPig
AirPig

Back to top Go down

Post  TheTenk Thu May 06, 2010 3:19 am

Looking at what people are in so far, this seems pretty set up for a Writer-Artist-Assistant combo. The more smoothly such groups could be set up, the easier a time we will have getting stuff done for the deadline.

Right now in the pre-launch stage, what happens will mostly entail writers and drawfags colliding until a match happens where they become mutually supportive. I feel like we should try to build small teams or groups to get actual work done before we think of publishing.
TheTenk
TheTenk

http://tenkyougan.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Cidthulhu Thu May 06, 2010 3:44 am

TheTenk wrote:Looking at what people are in so far, this seems pretty set up for a Writer-Artist-Assistant combo. The more smoothly such groups could be set up, the easier a time we will have getting stuff done for the deadline.

Right now in the pre-launch stage, what happens will mostly entail writers and drawfags colliding until a match happens where they become mutually supportive. I feel like we should try to build small teams or groups to get actual work done before we think of publishing.

I agree with this.
Cidthulhu
Cidthulhu

Back to top Go down

Post  emer Thu May 06, 2010 3:50 am

TheTenk wrote:(...)I feel like we should try to build small teams or groups to get actual work done before we think of publishing.
That sounds good.

Out of the blue I make a list (again).
Staff
-Artists
-Writers
-Designers
-Coders (website, still staff)

And then there's each project's staff
The Melancholy of Derp and His Gang of Pretentious Manchildren
-Writer(s) Randomdude, hisbroxXx & Flurp
-Artists Rahll, Reiq & Tite Kubo
-Proofreaders Kyon-kun
-Editor Ahmad Hussein & frigglesworth.

The mag editor(s) sets a deadline, the project staff work their arses off trying to make it in time.
Project staff can also be just writers (short stories & reviews/interviews).

Some kind of chain of command is probably neccassary.
Now, I gotta focus on my class.
emer
emer

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatGuy Thu May 06, 2010 8:59 am

Good work, everyone.

About the team's idea, I agree with emer's list except on the "proofreader" position. To me, having a proofreader assigned to a team would affect their productivity and results greatly and I fear that it would not be in a good way. The reason? They already have an editor, and occasionally we will come across situations where one of them will, say, complain about the pacing being too slow while the other says it's hard to get the story because everything is happenings too fast. Now, if the team follows the advice of one of them, the other will probably be much displeased and small issues can easily become big ones if someone assume they've been wronged for everyone in their team.

The obvious solution is to make the authors deliver the "name" (in this particular case, just a text script of the chapter) beforehand to be analyzed and possibly corrected (with the author's authorization) by their editors, who after taking a good look on the work and making the consensual minor changes necessary for it to become suitable for publishing (we must have standards, even in the doujin "industry") will deliver the polished "name" to a proofreading team common to all writing teams and stories. The proofreaders will not get a proper saying on how the story is conducted or the editor's right to make changes to the script (although anyone can "offer" ideas, all us being nakama): their work is just making sure there are no mistakes in the final product like typos, badly drawn details and such (just examples).

Specifically because of that I don't believe many of us will want that position, which takes us to the point where proofreading (given that there are not enough people to fill the position) will be a task that once in a while every one of us will have to do. We could have a schedule per magazine or choose them at random (it is a possibility, despite not being something I would personally recommend).

Any thoughts?
ThatGuy
ThatGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  Skull Thu May 06, 2010 10:01 am

I think Thatguys idea of proofreaders would be perfect! We should change those wo do that job every issue. But we shouldn`t choose them randomly and make some kind of system where no one have to do proofreading two times in a row).

But i have a little problem with emers team Idea. I would like to do something by myself (writing AND drawing). Will that be okay with that team Idea? (considering that my story and drawings are good enough if I am by myself)
Skull
Skull

Back to top Go down

Post  ThatGuy Thu May 06, 2010 11:07 am

Skull wrote:But i have a little problem with emers team Idea. I would like to do something by myself (writing AND drawing). Will that be okay with that team Idea? (considering that my story and drawings are good enough if I am by myself)

If you can make it to the deadline, why not? It seems to emer's idea don't imply that only writer-artist combos would be accepted; it was probably just a misinterpretation, so don't worry.
ThatGuy
ThatGuy

Back to top Go down

Post  emer Thu May 06, 2010 12:43 pm

ThatGuy wrote:(...)If you can make it to the deadline, why not? It seems to emer's idea don't imply that only writer-artist combos would be accepted; it was probably just a misinterpretation, so don't worry.
(Quoting Guy but replying to skull as well).

OFC single teams is possible, but I wrote that in a rush and probably left several logical spots wide open.

Regarding proofreaders, good point Guy.

Amazing list:
1) Writer/artist combo* get an idea
2) Pitches it with community (if sikkrit, go to three)
3) Pitches it with editors (everyone knows Bakuman, yeah?)
4) If editors like, proceed, otherwise repeat from 2.
5) Combo starts working.
6) ???
7) No profit.

*-Now Skull(r)-safe with solo teams possible ; )
emer
emer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum